Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Evicted!!!

As some of you know we have been pretty much co-sleeping with Edward since he was born. I had had him in his own bed around 18 months, but after Kirk had his accident he brought Edward back into our bed because he could only sleep if his family was close by. Well Edward has pretty much been in our bed ever since. When we moved to this house and got him a Thomas The Tank Engine Toddler Bed, he slept in it for almost a month...then bounced right back into our bed. No matter what amount of bribing, types of encouragement and incentives that were given he refused to go back to sleeping in his own bed on a regular basis. I finally put my foot down and this past Monday evicted him from our bed. I have made it very clear to him that he was getting to be a big boy and big boys sleep in their own beds. We have started a new routine with him....he gets to come to our room before lights out and we read him a couple of stories, then I put him in his room in his bed. I turn on his lullabye music (unfortuantly his Lighting McQueen CD Radio doesnt have continous play on it) and let it play while I lay in his bed with him until he falls asleep. He has slept all through the night in his own bed the last few nights. We praise him in the morning for sleeping in his own bed and tell him what a big boy he is. Now it is not like if he were sick or got scared from a nightmare or something that we wouldn't allow him to sleep with us one or two nights but he needs to be sleeping in his own bed on a regular basis from now on. I will also be quiting slowly using a technique I saw on SuperNanny, laying in his bed with him to get him to sleep. I will work on that with him after his birthday, once Nana goes home. He should be comfortable and use to by then with sleeping in his own bed.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Yeah!!!! Edward is sleeping in his big boy bed. That might put alittle spice back into the bedroom life for mommy and daddy LOL. Tell Edward I am proud of him.